The Sumner House has been a historical beacon in Shrewsbury, MA since 1798. Situated at the west side of the Town Common, the original "Sumner Mansion" was home to the town's second minister, Reverend Joseph Sumner. Several generations of the family occupied the home for 200 years. George Sumner, a partner at the former Barnard, Sumner, and Putnam department store in Worcester, MA, was known for hosting elaborate social gatherings at the home. The final Sumner descendants sold the home as a private residence in the 1980s, and after several years, it was turned into a bed and breakfast inn. The majority of the original decor of the Sumner House's 23 rooms was preserved when it became the Chiampa funeral home in 2010.
Get in Touch